Saturday, September 22, 2007

iPhone and clone mess....

Recently Meizu have unveiled the screenshots of its upcoming M8's GUI. They can be found on Meizu forums and a fair comparison can be found on Engadget. Here is what it comes down to... Since the iPhone has such a hype around it... every touch screen phone will pretty much be compared to it. I mean off course there are and will be knockoffs...
The phone making some headways is Meizu M8 and it looks very similar to the the iPhone... both from design and GUI perspective... As it was stated before somewhere (sorry don't remeber where) that all the touch screen phones will be very similar to the iPhone as it was arguably the first in class. by first in class I mean that all other touch screen phones have at least few buttons and most have also stylos for input, which I find useful if you want to cram more info on the screen. And here on a random off thought I can see another reason why I don't seems so fond of iPhone... Although it has big screen it is not efficient... well maybe for pensioners it is....
Anyhow... I wanted to take a look how come M8 user interface so much resemble iPhone... I mean they have had enough time to make it better or do they really believe that iPhone is such an awesome device that it can not be improved??
If you look at the post on Engadget you can see that there are big resemblances to the iPhone but at the same time I there is the question ... are there that many different choices for GUI at this kind of phone? If you think about it .. the are icons and as they need to be easy to understand they will look similar across different products if not for all else then for at least consistency... and then there are the message list in which you also can't be much different.... And what is up with the keyboard layout with M8?? where is the consistency... should have been qwerty or something?? I really hope they change that for the Western market...
And where does that leave us? Chat screen... they do look awfully similar and it might be just me but i still would prefer the Skype type of chat screen rather than it being on the sides.. and I must say that for some strange reason I find that to be only real similarity with the phones... But who am I to stop dull iPhone admirer from seeing the obvious...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.