Monday, October 1, 2007

Are linux mith really debunked?

I do not intend to look at all the miths about the Linux and it users, but I recently saw this article debunking 5 common misconceptions about Linux. I also do not want to dispute all that is written there as I agree with the last 3 points. Linux is compatible with lot of software, It is enterprise ready/ people use it, and It is professionally developed.
However what I can not fully agree yet is that Linux is easy to use and it is ahead of time. Let me start with it being with time or ahead of it. Article mentions many features that Linux had before Windows as default and I am not going to dispute that, however most of them are power user / security related. When I tried Linux (might be just my experience) I find it that there are many things for every day user that are behind times and that are overlooked in the article. For example install wizard. I downloaded some software for my Linux and I could not get around how to install it. And when I did get it installed I had hard time finding where... What Linux desperatly needs is to get rid of terminal and more to the GUI stuff...
At the end of the day how many of you have left a website shortly after opening it because it had late 90's design feel to it? I know I have many times and it has noting to do with the product. People live I candy! I suppose point is that I candy needs to be consistent. Which brings me to the next point. Linux is hard to use. Here we come to point... once you have used Linux for some time and know basic commands and where what is - it is easy to use... but as long as average joe will need to know any command line and there will be no on screen instructions for the basic and slightly advanced features... Linux will be hard to use. Period.

No comments: